Adverbs can be difficult for English language students to learn because of the different types and functions that adverbs have. However, by learning adverb examples, English language learners can greatly improve their English language ability. They will be able to describe more accurately how, when, and where an action happened and will be able to describe to what extent, and how often they happen.
Adverbs modify other words, such as verbs and adjectives, and can even modify other adverbs. The way in which an adverb modifies another word depends on the type of adverb it is.
There are five types of adverbs that English language students should learn. These are:
- Adverbs of Time – These describe when something happens.
- Adverbs of Place – These describe where something happens.
- Adverbs of Manner – These describe how something happens.
- Adverbs of Frequency – These describe how often something happens.
- Adverbs of Degree – These describe to what extent something happens.
In this post, you will find many adverb examples. This list of adverbs also includes adverb example sentences. You can also download these lists of adverbs as a PDF below.
Examples Of Adverbs
The below list of adverbs with example sentences is divided into the five types of adverbs. These are adverbs of time, place, manner, frequency, and degree.
Adverbs Of Time Examples
Adverbs of time are adverbs that tell us about when something happened or will happen. Here is a list of common adverbs of time with example sentences.
- now – I am eating now.
- then – I’ll see you then.
- today – He went to work today.
- tomorrow – My parents will arrive tomorrow.
- yesterday – Chris fell over yesterday.
- soon – The train will depart soon.
- later – I’ll do my homework later.
- already – I already did my homework.
- last month – I started working here last month.
- last year – Kelly and I first met last year.
- yet – I haven’t done my homework yet.
- before – I have watched this movie before.
- ago – She left for work an hour ago.
- lately – I’ve been feeling tired lately.
Download this adverbs of time list as a PDF.
Adverbs Of Place Examples
Adverbs of place are adverbs that tell us about where something happened or will happen. Here is a list of common adverbs of place with example sentences.
- here – Come here.
- there – Put the sofa there, please.
- around – The dog is rolling around on the floor.
- behind – If you miss a class you will fall behind.
- in – I tripped and fell in the swimming pool.
- on – I got on the bus at midnight.
- off – Let’s get off the bus at the next stop.
- over – I almost tripped over on the way here.
- somewhere – Let’s go somewhere warm for vacation.
- nowhere – We went nowhere for vacation last year.
- everywhere – I looked everywhere but couldn’t find my wallet.
- anywhere – I’m not going anywhere for vacation this year.
- upwards – He looked upwards at the stars.
- downwards – The path sloped downwards towards the stream.
- backwards – Don’t walk backwards. You might fall.
- sideways – The car skidded sideways on the ice.
- indoors – Let’s go indoors before it rains.
- outdoors – The children played outdoors all day.
Adverbs Of Manner Examples
Adverbs of manner are adverbs that tell us about how / in what manner something happened or will happen. Most adverbs of manner end in -ly. Here is a list of common adverbs of manner with example sentences.
- quickly – He ran quickly.
- slowly – The English teacher spoke slowly so that I could understand.
- angrily – She reacted angrily when she found out.
- calmly – Please move calmly towards the exit.
- carefully – Kelly drives carefully.
- correctly – The students answered all questions correctly.
- loudly – The audience laughed loudly.
- quietly – Please speak quietly when you are in the library.
- politely – The boy asked politely for some more candy.
- seriously – I was seriously hurt in a car crash.
- silently – The students sat there silently waiting for class to start.
- successfully – Chris successfully completed the London marathon.
- unexpectedly – My flight was unexpectedly delayed.
- wisely – Please choose your essay topic wisely.
- suspiciously – He was carrying a suspiciously large amount of money.
- smoothly – Everything went smoothly at the interview today.
- safely – Please drive home safely.
- repeatedly – I asked him repeatedly, but he didn’t answer.
Adverbs Of Frequency Examples
Adverbs of frequency are adverbs that tell us how often or how frequently something happens. Here is a list of adverbs of frequency with example sentences.
- always – I always go swimming on Mondays.
- usually – I usually wake up at 7 am.
- often – We often eat lunch together.
- frequently – Trains run frequently between here and the airport.
- sometimes – I sometimes read a book before I go to bed.
- occasionally – Kelly occasionally skips lunch.
- seldom – Chris seldom forgets to do his homework.
- rarely – I rarely exercise these days.
- hardly ever – I hardly ever drink coffee.
- never – I never listen to pop music.
Download this adverbs of frequency list as a PDF.
Adverbs Of Degree Examples
Adverbs of degree are adverbs which tell us about the extent of or the intensity of something.
- too – The soup was too salty.
- very – This coffee is very hot.
- enough – You are working hard enough.
- just – I was just leaving.
- almost – The movie has almost finished.
- nearly – I have nearly finished my homework.
- quite – This book is quite interesting.
- hardly – You’ve hardly touched your dinner.
- completely – I completely forgot to buy milk.
- extremely – It’s extremely difficult to find a job these days.
Download this adverbs of degree list as a PDF.
Here are the related resources about adverbs currently available on our website:
Thanks for reading. I hope you found this list of adverbs with examples useful. Before you go, don’t forget to check out our free English teaching resources, including ESL Games, PowerPoint Games, PowerPoint Lessons, and ESL Worksheets.