Phrasal Prepositions | Useful List And Example Sentences
If you’re looking for examples of phrasal prepositions, then you’ve come to the right place. Below you’ll find a list of phrasal prepositions along with many example sentences. But first, let’s take a look at what exactly phrasal prepositions are.
What Are Phrasal Prepositions?
A phrasal preposition is a combination of two or more words that act as a single preposition, such as “in spite of,” “because of,” and “in addition to.” Phrasal prepositions are often used in everyday speech and writing, and they can also be useful in academic contexts.
They are used to express relationships between nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, and essentially any part of speech. Examples include: “in front of“, “out of“, “due to“, “on behalf of“, and “along with“. Phrasal prepositions can help create complex sentences with interesting ideas and make them easier for readers to understand.
Phrasal Prepositions VS Prepositional Phrases?
A phrasal preposition is a preposition that is made up of more than one word, and it is used to indicate a location or a relationship between two things. A prepositional phrase, on the other hand, is a group of words that begins with a preposition and ends with a noun or pronoun, and it functions as an adjective or adverb in a sentence.
- She is standing in front of the building. (In this sentence, “in front of” is a phrasal preposition indicating location. It is not a prepositional phrase because it is not modifying a noun or pronoun.)
- The book on the shelf is mine. (In this sentence, “on the shelf” is a prepositional phrase modifying the noun “book.” It begins with the preposition “on” and ends with the noun “shelf.”)
So, the main difference between phrasal prepositions and prepositional phrases is that phrasal prepositions are prepositions made up of more than one word, while prepositional phrases are groups of words that function as adjectives or adverbs in a sentence.
List Of Phrasal Prepositions
Here is a list of common phrasal prepositions:
- according to
- because of
- by means of
- due to
- except for
- in addition to
- in front of
- in spite of
- inside of
- on account of
- on behalf of
- on top of
- out of
- owing to
- to the detriment of
- with regard to
- with respect to
- worth of
Example Sentences With Phrasal Prepositions
Here are many example sentences using phrasal prepositions. In each of the sentences below, the phrasal preposition is in bold.
- According to the weather forecast, it’s going to rain tomorrow.
- I’m late because of the traffic.
- They communicated by means of a secret code.
- The event was canceled due to the pandemic.
- Everyone has left except for me.
- In addition to the usual suspects, several new players have joined the team.
- She’s standing in front of the store.
- In spite of the rain, we decided to go for a walk.
- I will wait inside of the car.
- On account of the bad weather, we decided to stay home.
- I’m writing this letter on behalf of the company.
- I left my keys on top of the fridge.
- He’s been out of town for a week.
- Owing to the pandemic, many people have lost their jobs.
- We’ll be traveling throughout Europe for three months.
- She put her own interests ahead of everyone else, to the detriment of the team.
- With regard to the project, we need to finalize the budget and timeline.
- With respect to the proposed changes, I have some concerns.
- He donated a million dollars worth of medical equipment to the hospital.
Download PDF List
More Vocabulary Lists
Thanks for reading. I hope you find this list of phrasal prepositions with examples useful. Before you go, be sure to check out our other vocabulary lists for more useful resources for English language learners.