As a teacher, one of the main goals on the first day of school after the holidays is to get to know your students.
Getting to know your students can directly affect how engaged and interested they are during class throughout the school year. Once you know about your students’ interests, hobbies, and things they like and don’t like, you can include these things in your lessons. Students are much more likely to be motivated and engaged if they are learning things that they enjoy and are interested in.
By asking questions to get to know your students you will also show them that you are interested in them and care about them.
In this post we have put together a list of 30 fun icebreaker questions to get to know your students.
Fun Icebreaker Questions
Here’s a list of fun questions to break the ice and to get to know your students.
- What’s your favorite book or movie?
- Who would you most like to meet in real life?
- What’s the last thing that made you laugh out loud?
- Where would you most like to go on vacation?
- What’s your earliest memory?
- What is the best gift you have ever received?
- If you were a superhero, what superpowers would you like to have?
- If you were an animal, what animal would you be?
- What three things can you not live without?
- If you were King / Queen for a day, what would you do?
- What do you think makes a good teacher?
- If you had a time machine, would you travel to the past of the future?
- What do you do when you have free time?
- How would your friends describe you?
- What’s your dream job?
- In how many languages can you say ‘hello’?
- If you could join a famous band/pop group, which one would you join?
- Who would play you in a movie about your life?
- What’s the strangest thing you have ever eaten?
- What’s your favorite kind of food?
- Do you have any pets?
- What would you buy first if you had a million dollars?
- What’s the worst gift you have ever been given?
- What are your favorite sports to play?
- What subjects do you like the most at school?
- Describe your ideal birthday party.
- What interesting places have you visited?
- What three things would you take with you to a desert island?
- Are you an early bird or a night owl?
- What would you like to achieve this year?
Getting to know your students on the first day of school is a fantastic way to engage students and make them feel like you care about them and are interested in them. I hope using these fun questions to get to know your students will help you break the ice in a fun way.
Thanks for reading. You may also be interested in: