Whether you are teaching English online, or teaching English in South Korea, one of the big challenges when creating lessons is figuring out what ESL topics to teach.
This is especially challenging if you must create your own curriculum for ESL beginners.
There are many topics that are typically found in young learner curricula.
In this post we have put together a list of 30 ESL topics that are typically taught to ESL kids and beginners.
You can also click on ESL lesson topic titles below to check out some of our free lesson materials that you can use in your English lessons.
30 ESL Topics For Kids
- Alphabet and phonics
- Greetings and Introductions (Hello / Goodbye / What’s your name?)
- Feelings and Emotions (How are you?)
- Weather (How’s the weather? / What’s the weather like?)
- Colors (What color is it?)
- Numbers (How many? / How Much is it?)
- Adjectives (It’s big / small.)
- Food ( I like… / I don’t like…)
- Family ( This is my mother. / Who’s he/she?’)
- Jobs and Occupations (What does he/she do? / What do you want to be?)
- Classroom objects (What’s this? / Do you have a …?)
- Parts of the body
- Can / Can’t
- Prepositions ( on / in / under )
- Rooms of the House (Where’s dad? – He’s in the living room.)
- Days of the week (What day is it?)
- Sickness (I have a stomachache.)
- Clothes (Put on your jacket. / What is he wearing?)
- Descriptions (What does he/she look like?)
- Present Progressive Tense (What’s he/she doing?)
- Transportation (How do you come to school?)
- Telling The Time (What time is it?)
- School subjects (We have English class on Mondays)
- Sports (What are you good at?)
- Hobbies (What do you like to do in your free time?)
- Countable and Uncountable Nouns ( some / any)
- Comparatives and Superlatives
- Past Tense ( What did you do last weekend?)
- Directions ( Where is the supermarket?)
Thanks for reading. I hope you found this list of ESL topics for kids useful. Before you go don’t forget to check out our free ESL games, activities, and resources including Activity Videos, PowerPoint Games, PowerPoint Lessons, Worksheets, Board Games, and Lesson Plans.