Once you have introduced students to the past simple tense, a great way to get students to practice using the past tense is to ask them many past tense questions. Asking past tense questions gives students an opportunity to talk about themselves and the things they have done. In this post, we have put together 25 past tense questions you can ask your students to help them practice speaking or writing in the past tense.
Past Tense Questions
Here are 25 past questions that you can ask your students. These are great to help your students practice speaking in the past tense, or can be used as past tense writing prompts.
- Where did you go for your last vacation?
- What did you learn at school yesterday?
- What was your first memory?
- Who was your first friend?
- What did you eat for breakfast?
- What was the last thing you bought?
- What was the last sport you played?
- What did you do during the winter vacation?
- What did you do before school today?
- What did you have for dinner yesterday?
- When was the last time you exercised?
- What was the last movie you saw?
- What was the last book you read?
- When did you last have a bad dream?
- When did you last tell a lie?
- What did you watch on TV last weekend?
- When did you last have an argument with someone?
- How did you travel to school today?
- When was the last time you cried?
- What was the last thing you cooked?
- Who was your first teacher?
- What was your favorite toy as a child?
- Who did you meet at the weekend?
- Where did you go last weekend?
- What was the first concert you went to?